Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thankful Thursday!

Today I am SO thankful for FATHER'S!! Although every. single. day. of my life I am so grateful for the good man my father is and the example he set for me, as well as the AMAZING, dedicated, hard-working father my husband is to our children; it seems that whenever a holiday approaches our minds are even more turned to focusing and appreciating whatever it is that we will be celebrating. And this has definitely been the case for me as Father's Day approaches, particularly based on an experience I had yesterday.

My 2 year old and I were in the car in the parking lot of a grocery store, while my husband and 4 year old were inside picking up a few things. We had the music on and were having fun dancing silly and laughing when, from across the street, I heard a man shouting every profanity I have ever heard-and then some. I turned and looked out the back window of my car to see a man-obviously drunk (at 11 am)-wearing high-water sweatpants, a holey, too-small for him, tee-shirt and had hair that stood up in literally every direction, (I'm not judging...just trying to paint a picture here :) ) screaming at his son (over 18) who was standing about a foot away from him.

I knew we weren't in any danger, being across the street in a crowded parking lot, but I grabbed my little girl and held her tightly on my lap. A mother's natural instinct I guess. There was some back and forth vulgarity between the 2 men which was offensive in and of itself, but I felt sick to my stomach when I heard a woman's voice coming from behind him and looked up to see a tiny, frail woman in a nightgown standing on her front porch cautiously trying to convince her husband to come inside the house. And then I about lept out of my car and attacked the man myself when I saw, peeking out from under the woman's arm, a small boy, not much older than my sweet little 4 year old boy, crying with his hands over his ears pleading with his dad to stop yelling.

To this, the drunk man stumbles up to the house grabs the woman and boy by the arm and shoves them into the house and slams the door behind them. I wanted to cry. My stomach was in knots and as much as wanted to run up to the house and take the woman and child away I knew that wouldn't be safe for me. Thankfully a guy a few cars down from me was standing outside of his car and called the police who showed up in less than 5 min.

When Mr. Sweet Love got back to the car I grabbed him and wouldn't let go. "Um....I love you too?" he says.

I am so thankful for good men in my life. I'm thankful for a father who treated my mother and his children with respect. I'm thankful for a husband that would never curse at, or raise a hand to, me or our children, and that they will grow up without fear as a constant in their lives. I'm thankful for the safety I feel from him and for the love that abides in our home because of a father who takes his responsibility to preside over his family in love and righteousness and to provide the necessities of life and protection for his family seriously. Although I have to give myself a little credit because after-all I did choose him. ha ha :)

Happy Father's day (and happy birthday today!)to my dad: (him and I circa 1980...)


And to my Sweet Love:


And to all YOUR father's, husbands, and men in your life who have been worthy of that title! Thanks also to you for stopping by today, I'll be back tomorrow with some features! See ya soon!

2 comments:

Alisa and Sky said...

Good post sista! Loved it!

Mindy said...

That pic with your family is wonderful. I think I need you to show me how you do it.